So, the whole build it and they will come podcasting approach hasn’t quite panned out. I hate to be the one to break it to you but in a sea of podcasts, you’re going to have to put some signals out if you want to be found.
And that means marketing! It’s one of the key elements of podcasting that I focus on even though a lot of podcasters think it has nothing to do with podcasting.
I disagree. If you don’t market your podcast, you won’t have listeners. If you don’t have listeners, you’re not a podcaster. There. I said it.
And, if you are podcasting for your business, as in, to grow your authority, then you absolutely need to be marketing your podcast or you are going to get a seriously negative ROI.
Make Sure You’re Not Podcasting to No One
The good news is that there are a lot of fun and effective ways to market your podcast.
I’ve covered a lot of them in past episodes but in this episode, I’m bringing you my top 5 marketing tips for podcasters. It’s all part of my 4-part series with my top 5 tips on marketing, performance, tech, and content for podcasters. (This is part one of four so if you haven’t subscribed yet, you better do it now so you don’t miss out on this series).
Here are my top tips for moving the needle with your podcast marketing:
- Other People’s Podcasts. Here’s an obvious statement: podcast listeners listen to podcasts. In other words, your future podcast listeners are already listening to other people’s podcasts. So, if you want to find more podcast listeners, get yourself where they are (hint: other people’s podcasts). Hands down being a guest is one of the best ways to increase exposure for your show and grow your audience fast. BUT, you gotta be strategic about it. You sharing your genius with people who don’t care about what you talk about is not going to gain you listeners. Focus on podcasts that talk to the same people you want to attract. And, make sure you deliver! The other host will be grateful and you’re way more likely to gain listeners if you give them something they really need.
- Sharing is (Still) Caring. This is going to be the least shocking marketing tip of the decade. Do social media. Make sure you are using social media to promote your show but also, make sure that you are creating an opportunity for your listeners to connect with you and engage with you (ahem, that’s the social part of social media). If you hate social media, hire someone who doesn’t. It’s still going to be one of the best ways to grow your audience – especially if you focus your efforts to where your ideal listener is already hanging out.
- Be Findable. I’m not going to take you down the SEO rabbit hole but you do need to have enough of an online presence for people to find you and your podcast. Being on the podcast platform is not enough. I repeat. Just being on 10 podcast platforms is not going to do the trick. So, get yourself a podcast website or, better yet, add your podcast to your website and make sure you are doing all of the things you need to do to be found by search engines. You know, great show notes, an SEO rich title, and maybe some backlinks too (see tip #1). This can take some time to establish so start now if you’re not already doing this.
- Get on YouTube. I know what you’re thinking…Blasphemy! Put aside your video-judgement and hear me out. There is one undeniable fact that you need to consider – YouTube is the second largest search engine on the internet. If you want to increase the number of people who discover you, get on YouTube. Now, I’m not suggesting that you have to start cranking out Steven Speilberg level productions. You can get by with a simple wave form and your background. If you want to step it up a notch, create a promo or other video content to support your podcast. And remember, YouTube is also a social media platform so don’t forget to engage in the comments.
- Marketing Funnels. Hold it. Now hold it! I don’t want to lose you. I can already hear your ears starting to clench. This does not have to be complicated. But if you want your podcast to grow your business (not just your downloads) then you need to think of your listener’s actions AFTER the episode is over. How can you continue to take care of them and help them solve their problem (you know, that thing you do for a business…). If you have something for them to do after listening, a way for them to take the next step in hiring you or buying from you, well, you’ve got yourself the start of a funnel. Just keep thinking about how to get them to take the next step. Your podcast can (and likely is) the top of your marketing funnel.
These are my top tips to help you get more listeners and have your podcast serve as a marketing tool to grow your business. But let me leave you with one key thought… none of those listeners are worth snot if they are not your ideal customer.
This is why marketing works so much better when your show is properly aligned with your business. A lot of entrepreneurs skip this when they start their podcast. They’re just so dang excited to start a podcast they don’t think about what it has to do with their business or how it’s going to help them grow their business.
Is this you? Let’s talk about it. I offer a free 15 minute coaching call that will help you get some serious clarity about aligning your show and your business. Book a time now and let’s get you working in the right direction.
Listen to more 5-minute episodes, explore my resources and check out my coaching packages at https://podcastperformancecoach.com/
Got a Question? Contact me: